Drs. Kees Kaldenbach - Private Guide in AmsterdamMember Since 2005
Amsterdam, Gay and Lesbian history.
Culture and History tour in Amsterdam
Tour Price : Please send group size in private email. Duration : about 2 hours. Languages: Dutch, English, German, also with a translator in Japanese and other languages
For several decades, Amsterdam has been known for its warm embrace of Gays and Lesbians. The city has kept alive its age old tradition of liberal-mindedness and tolerance towards non-conventional religions and lifestyles. To this day, Amsterdam remains the premiere Gay and Lesbian friendly travel destination.
We would like to invite you to go on a guided walking tour, which will provide an interesting look into the way for this city’s gay-friendly atmosphere was created. I am a knowledgeable, articulate and resourceful art historian, brimming with fascinating stories from 1650 to the present. I will read you quotations from letters and diaries that portray the perception of Gays and Lesbians during different periods throughout Amsterdam’s history.
Our tour lasts approximately two hours, which gives us ample time to show you all the places that highlights the most important events of the Gay and Lesbian scene in Amsterdam.
I will visit what is considered to be the first openly gay bar in Europe, owned by a woman who is referred to as the first motorbike dyke and I will also take you to the world’s first gay monument, which opened in 1987. This commemorative monument honors all those men and women who have been persecuted on grounds of their sexual orientation.
Our tour would not be complete without a visit to several bookstores and active gay organizations. Our tours perfectly cater to those who harbor an interest in Gay history, and we invite you to join us to explore this particular and unique aspect of Amsterdam.
|Tour Price: Please send group size in private email.|
|Duration: about 2 hours.|
|Languages: Dutch, English, German, also with a translator in Japanese and other languages|
|Tour package includes:|
|Airport Transfer :||NO|
|Tour Transportation (car, van, limo, boat, etc…):||NO|
|Food and Drinks :||NO|
|Other services (fees apply):|
|Attraction tickets (concerts, theater, museum, circus...) :||NO|
|Translation services :||YES|
|Reservations (hotels, restaurants, airline) :||NO|
|Visa support :||NO|
|This tour must be booked at least 7 days in advance of your travel date :||NO|
|Tour groups must include a minimum of 2 passengers :||NO|
|Tour prices are flexible and based on your requirements :||YES|
|This Tour is Kid Friendly :||YES|
- City Walk in Amsterdam
- Rembrandt Walking and Museum Tour
- Vermeer in full glory, seven masterworks in Holland
- Vincent van Gogh in Amsterdam & Otterlo
- Utrecht, its history, architecture, canals and museums
- The Hague in art and politics
- Marken, Monnickendam, Edam
- Windmills near Alkmaar (North) and Rotterdam (South)
- Alkmaar, historic town center, windmills
- Leiden, University and Museum route
- Delft, Delft Blue, Johannes Vermeer
- Architecture in Amsterdam from 1600 to 2011
- Amsterdam, Gay and Lesbian history.
- Gouda city tour, church with stained glass extravaganza
- Rotterdam, stunning harbour redevelopment
- Women of Amsterdam. from fishwives to womens lib
- United East India Company - its powerful influence