Drs. Kees Kaldenbach - Private Guide in AmsterdamMember Since 2005
Windmills near Alkmaar (North) and Rotterdam (South)
Culture and History tour in Windmills
Tour Price : Depending on starting point. Please email me stating your group size. Duration : Depends on the starting point Languages: Dutch, English, German, also with a translator in Japanese and other languages
When you visit Holland you may make a fascinating tour of the windmills that are still actively operated. For many visitors there is nothing better than this unique, breath taking tour of the active windmills around Alkmaar and Kinderdijk. When going to Kinderdijk, you may also add the Engineering Sea protection marvels in Zeeland
1. Northern route. My first stop when we start the tour in Amsterdam will be to go north by Alkmaar and check out the windmill that is the oldest in the country. There is a series of 4 along a beautiful ring water. The tour will also take us outside Alkmaar to a few water and grain pumps that are still working near the area.
Industrial Mill technology was first developed in Alkmaar ; here the rotating power first became to-and-fro-movement, which we now see everywhere in the world. Here we can see a close up of a mill pumping polder water up several levels into a ring canal leading to a lake. Further on we’ll take the country roads where we will see pristine historic villages such as De Rijp and Graft. Enjoy samplings of fresh Dutch cheese as the cows are grazing in the pasture near-by.
2. Southern route. Though it is a bit of a distance from the start in Amsterdam, just south of Rotterdam we can visit the famous mills of Kinderdijk. Tour 2 can be combined with Tour 3.
3. Zeeland Technology. Finally we can add a visit the national sea water protection engineering works featuring the tremendous engineering feats of the Delta Works. A local stops on the tour will be man-made NeeltjeJans island at the sea defense park (extra entrance ticket).
My car seats 3 persons. We can accommodate larger groups for an additional fee with a minibus.
|Tour Price: Depending on starting point. Please email me stating your group size.|
|Duration: Depends on the starting point|
|Group Size: 3 to 4 in my private car|
|Languages: Dutch, English, German, also with a translator in Japanese and other languages|
|Tour package includes:|
|Airport Transfer :||NO|
|Tour Transportation (car, van, limo, boat, etc…):||NO|
|Food and Drinks :||NO|
|Other services (fees apply):|
|Attraction tickets (concerts, theater, museum, circus...) :||NO|
|Translation services :||YES|
|Reservations (hotels, restaurants, airline) :||NO|
|Visa support :||NO|
|This tour must be booked at least 7 days in advance of your travel date :||NO|
|Tour groups must include a minimum of 2 passengers :||NO|
|Tour prices are flexible and based on your requirements :||YES|
|This Tour is Kid Friendly :||YES|
- City Walk in Amsterdam
- Rembrandt Walking and Museum Tour
- Vermeer in full glory, seven masterworks in Holland
- Vincent van Gogh in Amsterdam & Otterlo
- Utrecht, its history, architecture, canals and museums
- The Hague in art and politics
- Marken, Monnickendam, Edam
- Windmills near Alkmaar (North) and Rotterdam (South)
- Alkmaar, historic town center, windmills
- Leiden, University and Museum route
- Delft, Delft Blue, Johannes Vermeer
- Architecture in Amsterdam from 1600 to 2011
- Amsterdam, Gay and Lesbian history.
- Gouda city tour, church with stained glass extravaganza
- Rotterdam, stunning harbour redevelopment
- Women of Amsterdam. from fishwives to womens lib
- United East India Company - its powerful influence